Task 3A: Specification Overview
Task 3A: Sequenced Integrated Performance
Stimuli: How Deep Is Your Love (Calvin Harris + Disciples) from the CD Now 92, Sony Music 888751537026
You are required to produce a sequenced integrated realisation using the recording listed above (This is option 2 of 2) as your stimulus. You must include all vocals, instrumental parts, and production features.
For “How Deep Is Your Love (Calvin Harris + Disciples)” you must produce the whole song.
This is predominantly an aural task, and no score has been included. You may work from a score if you wish, but be aware that scores of rock and pop songs are often incomplete or inaccurate.
- You should match timbres and performance details as closely as possible to the stimulus.
- You must record a live performance of the lead vocal part and integrate this into the final mix. The piece may be transposed to a different key to suit the vocal range of the singer. It may be sung by a male or female vocalist.
- You may record up to three live audio tracks (including lead vocals). Backing vocals may be recorded live, or sequenced using appropriate techniques and timbres.
- You must be in sole charge of the recording process from capture of audio to mixdown. Sharing of audio files between candidates is not permitted.
- You must input all sequenced data by playing or programming the parts yourself.
- You must not use any MIDI files downloaded from the internet or copied from any other source.
- You must not use pre-programmed audio or MIDI loops in this task.
- You may use sampling to replicate production techniques.
- Each sample must consist of only one pitch; any rhythms must be sequenced.
- Any samples longer than one note will be considered to be an audio track.
- You must not sample audio from any version of the stimuli.
You should submit your completed performance as track 1 on your Music Technology Portfolio 2 CD.
(Total for Task 3A = 40 marks)