In this lesson, we will be looking at the mixing process and ways in which you can maximize your marks by following a few simple steps. The main focus of this lesson will be on Balance, Automation, Panning and Reverb techniques.
- Whilst mixing listen to your track on a range of speakers, not just your headphones. This will give you a better understanding of how your mix is progressing.
- Consider the use of Compression on the majority of your tracks
- Consider how you have EQ’ed your tracks to create space
- Consider the root panning position for each of your tracks (before and after automation)
- Consider the space that you have created with the reverb you are using across the majority of your tracks
- Consider using automation to add interest and depth to your mix. Look at automating volume, panning, EQ etc.…
- Consider isolating your tracks in groups to see how they work together. You should not mix your tracks in complete isolation, as this will hinder the final mix.