- Vocals (usually male)
- Two guitarists – Lead and Rhythm
Performance and Arrangement:
- Powerful vocals usually delivered in a high register at a screaming level
- Guitars play riffs using Power chords (Root and Dominant chords)
- Soloing-fast and with a high degree of technical ability
- Pentatonic and blues scales used regularly for riffs and solos, also the prominent use of modal scales and chromaticism
- Driving rhythms called ‘Chugging’ used by the guitar, drums and bass.
- Keyboards are not used in a prominent / lead role
- Drum parts feature lots of cymbals and toms and can be very technical.
Technology and Production:
- Distortion and Valve amp sound create a huge guitar sound.
- Fuzz, Wah-Wah and Phaser are the main effects used
- Feedback and Finger Tapping techniques used
- Drums and bass create a thick and heavy sound
- Use of Large Reverbs
- Blues Music
- British Blues
- Prog Rock
- Psychedelic Rock