Quite often, I am asked the question “How do you go about planning and completing the A Level Music Technology Component 1 – Recording task?”
As an organisational challenge, this one is tough and my best answer is to try and get the bulk of the recordings completed as early as possible in yr13. Through bitter experience, I’ve found the longer you leave it, the more that can go wrong.
I aim to get the bulk of the recording completed in one block with semi profession musicians, and I usually get the students to all record the same song which streamlines the whole process. Below I have outlined my timeline.
Component 1 – Recording
- Which song?
- Work out the structure and key so song fits with requirements
- Give song to band to prepare
- Preparation recording sessions for students
- Get students to setup and save their component 1 project file
- “Component 1 – Song Name – Student Name”
October Holiday Recording Sessions:
- Session 1 – Drums and bass
- Session 2 – Guitars and keyboards
- Session 3 – Main and backing vocals
Terms 2 and 3:
- Start Component 2
- Start mixing and mastering Component 1
Lets get recording!